The story of an undocumented immigrant, Jorge Garcia, who was deported to Mexico after spending decades in the United States has captured the hearts of many, including rapper Chamillionaire.
That's right, the same rapper who brought us the No. 1 single "Ridin" in the mid-2000s is reportedly attempting to reach out to the Garcia family to try and help. The Houston rapper reportedly saw Niraj Warikoo's reported piece ii the Detroit Free Press and e-mailed the journalist.
"I'm reaching out to find out if you could possibly connect me with his family?" the screenshot Warikoo uploaded to Twitter read. "I'm looking to talk to them to see how I can help with financial support in Jorge's absence."
This is not a joke. I actually got an email yesterday from rapper Chamillionaire (of Ridin’ Dirty fame, the song that goes, They see me rollin,’ they hatin’) after he read my story on Jorge Garcia being deported. He wants to help him. pic.twitter.com/ZBJvcbTKRf— Niraj Warikoo (@nwarikoo) January 18, 2018
Warikoo, who seemed to be shocked by the correspondence as well, tweeted that "this is not a joke." Since his days of rap fame, Chamillionaire made major money moves by becoming a tech entrepreneur and working with Upfront Ventures as a venture capitalist. Now it seems like he wants to pay it forward.
Garcia, who came to the U.S. when he was 10 years old, is in a gray zone because he's not protected under DACA but he has spent the majority of his life raising a family and paying taxes here. He also doesn't have a criminal record. However, that didn't stop the Immigration And Customs Enforcement, or ICE, from deporting Garcia on Monday. In a tear-jerking video, Garcia is seen hugging his family goodbye before heading to Mexico. Garcia may also be banned from coming back to the U.S. for ten years.
- 5 People From So-Called ‘Sh*thole’ Countries Who Contribute More Than Trump
- Here's What DACA Is and Why It's So Important
- ICE Agents Sweep Dozens of 7-Eleven Locations Across the Country in Pre-Dawn Raids
More from Complex
- Owner of 'Chicago West' Twitter Handle Offers Kim and Kanye a Deal
- Joey Badass Says He Has a Collab Project With XXXTentacion Coming
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Has Inspired a New Musical
- You Can Only Buy This Nike KD 10 PE at House of Hoops
- ASAP Twelvyy and Under Armour Are Up to Something