CBS has ordered two more drama pilots, bringing its total to six so far for the 2020 development season. They are Good Sam, from writer Katie Wech (BH90210), Jane the Virgin creator Jennie Snyder Urman and her Sutton St. Productions; and Out The Door from 24 veteran Evan Katz and Jerry Bruckheimer Television. CBS Television Studios, where Urman and Bruckheimer are under deals, is the studio for both.
Written by Wech, Good Sam centers on a talented yet stifled surgeon who embraces her leadership role after her renowned and pompous boss falls into a coma. When he awakens and wants to resume surgery, however, it falls to her to supervise this overbearing blowhard who never acknowledged her talents — and also happens to be her father.
More from Deadline
- Friday Ratings: Fox's WWE Friday Night SmackDown Wins, But Dem Debate SmackDowns Dim
- Gayle King Rips CBS For Excerpting Her Lisa Leslie Interview About Kobe Bryant; Network Responds - Update
- 'Judge Judy' Big-Bucks Profits Lawsuit Ends In Settlement With CBS Division, For Now
Wech executive produces with Urman and Joanna Klein for Sutton St. Productions.
Most recently, Wech was a writer on Fox’s summer drama series BH90210. Wech also wrote The Hypnotist’s Love Story, based on the Liane Moriarty book, which received a pilot order at ABC last season. Wech previously worked with Urman as co-executive producer on Jane the Virgin.
Urman created and executive produced Jane The Virgin, which aired for five seasons on the CW. She currently serves as executive producer on the CW’s Charmed and CBS’ Broke.
In Out the Door, written by Katz, upon learning that his impending retirement is being pushed off by several years, an LAPD detective who just wants his pension so he can go off and live the good life decides to do everything in his power to get fired, but his bad behavior only leads to surprising success at solving cases.
Katz executive produces with Jerry Bruckheimer TV’s Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman and KristieAnne Reed.
Katz was a writer/executive producer on 24 and the 24: Live Another Day limited event series on Fox. He also co-created/executive produced the 24: Legacy reboot. His résumé also includes stints on Body of Proof and JAG.
Good Sam and Out The Door join CBS drama pilots Clarice, The Equalizer, Ways & Means and The Lincoln Lawyer, which was ordered straight-to-series.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers