The body of the 75-year-old rock legend was found in his New York City apartment on Sunday afternoon. The New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner has since concluded that Ocasek died from hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. A pulmonary emphysema was also a contributing factor.
According to a statement from Ocasek’s family, his death was “untimely and unexpected.”
“We appreciate the great outpouring of love. We, his family and friends, are completely and utterly devastated by his untimely and unexpected death and would appreciate the privacy to mourn in private,” the family said.
Update: In her own Instagram post, Ocasek’s ex-wife, Paulina Porizkov, says that the former Cars frontman had been recuperating following surgery. She discovered his body early Sunday morning after he “had peacefully passed on” during the previous night.
In the wake of Ocasek’s death, several fellow musicians and collaborators have posted tributes in his honor.
- R.I.P. Ric Ocasek, frontman of The Cars, dead at 75
- Navy acknowledges existence of UFOs for first time, and we have Tom DeLonge to thank
- Nick Carter gets restraining order against brother Aaron Carter
- Mike Patton on Joining Faith No More, Finding Inspiration from Tom Waits, and Being Yourself
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage