In recent “no big deal” news, a Vancouver Island woman blasted Metallica’s song “Don’t Tread on Me” while hiking to fend off a cougar blocking her way. When Metallica heard the story, frontman James Hetfield gave her a call directly — and she got to thank him for saving her life.
The woman, Dee Gallant, was hiking with her dog Murphy when a cougar approached them, prowling in a “predator walk”. Gallant took out her phone, saw “Don’t Tread on Me” in her music library, and hit play. The cougar went darting away into the bushes as soon as the opening notes rang out. She left the situation with a simple wish: “I would love to contact [Metallica] someday and tell James Hetfield that he saved my life.”
Luckily for her, the opportunity arrived fairly quickly. Gallant told CTV News that she got a phone call from a band liaison telling her to expect a call from Metallica, reports Exclaim! As it was happening, Hetfield was on the other end of the line and said hello. Unsurprisingly, she was shocked and at a loss for words. “It’s surreal how quickly it happened and how far it’s gone,” she said. “The fact that he’s so down to earth and such a great person, I’m very pleased to find that out firsthand.”
Hetfield and Gallant talked about their respective homes in California and Vancouver Island, their pets, and, of course, the whole cougar ordeal. Afterwards, Hetfield sent her a metal-horns selfie as “confirmation that it was me.”
“I can’t believe he knows my dog’s name,” Gallant said to CTV News. “If you had told the 18-year-old me that this would happen, I never would’ve believed it. I would’ve just fallen out of my skin with excitement.”
You can watch the local news station’s interview with Gallant here.
- Full Woodstock recording to air on WXPN at exact time of original festival
- DEVO confirm rare live appearance at Desert Daze: "This could be the last time DEVO plays on this planet"
- Jack Black and Jack White have finally recorded a song together
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth announce separation
- "Teenage Dream" video star accuses Katy Perry of sexual harassment
- Disgraced Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins gets more prison time after hiding phone in anus