Once a year, San Diego is taken over by Comic-Con International, the de facto Mecca for comic fans and an industry hotspot for makers of superhero movies and TV shows. Here are some impressive stats summing up the long-running convention:
1. This year is the 47th Annual Comic-Con.
2. In 2015, over 130,000 fans attended the convention.
3. Tickets for this year’s Comic-Con sold out in less than an hour.
4. People begin lining up for a Hall H seat — the site of the convention’s biggest panels — 24 hours beforehand.
5. The exhibit hall, where artists and companies set up booths, covers 460,000 square feet. That’s the equivalent of about 34 Olympic-size swimming pools.
6. Collectively, people who attend Comic-Con spend $80 million at the convention.
7. During the 2015 event, 2.9 million tweets were sent about Comic-Con.
8. Comic-Con International will remain in San Diego through 2018.
WATCH: some of the top outfits to look for at this year’s Comic-Con: