The dark comedy won six awards, including best film. Other awards “Parasite” received included best supporting actor and actress, for Park Myung-hoon and Lee Jung-eun, respectively, best screenplay for Bong and co-writer Han Jin-won, best cinematography for Hong Kyung-pyo, and best score for Jung Jae-il.
More from Variety
- Busan: Entertaining Power Unleashes 'Spiders' and 'I'm Livin' It' at Asian Film Market
- Brash Lift-Off for Asia Contents Awards as Busan Market Reaches out to Streaming, TV
- Eight Asian Talents in the Race for Busan Festival's Kim Ji-seok Award
“Director Bong Joon-ho and Song Kang-ho [lead actor] are currently in the U.S for the film’s premiere. We will regard this [best film] award as being given to the hundreds of people who worked on this film,” said Kwak Shin-ae, CEO of the film’s production house Barunson E&A, on the stage.
Best director went to director Kim Tae-gyun for “Dark Figure of Crime.” Hong Sang-soo’s “Hotel by the River” won best actor for Ki Joo-bong, while Jeon Do-yeon won best actress for “Birthday.”
“After My Death” took home two prizes: best new director for Kim Eui-suk, and best new actress for Jeon Yeo-bin. The best new actor award was presented to Sung Yoo-bin for his role in “Last Child.”
K-pop boy band EXO’s Do Kyung-soo and Lim Yoona of Girls’ Generation, who respectively represented “Swing Kids” and “Exit,” received popular star awards. “Swing Kids” also won best art direction.
Best of Variety
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could
- 'Game of Thrones' Filming Locations in Northern Ireland to Open as Tourist Attractions