Clocking in at nearly six minutes, the cinematic video opens in the aftermath of a misty battlefield littered with fallen pigeons pierced through with arrows. Dressed as warriors, the band perseveres as zebras, giraffes and elephants walk by a weathered ship. “Of course I‘m not unafraid/Of course it’s not all OK,” the sing, “Awkwardly I flow/I fly together with that black wind.”
More from Rolling Stone
- BTS Cancel 'Map of the Soul' Korea Shows Due to Coronavirus Concerns
- BTS's 'Map of the Soul: 7' On Track For Number One RS 200 Debut
- 'Carpool Karaoke': BTS Sing 'On,' James Corden Asks to Join Band
Later in the clip, the band stands in front of a stone resembling Pride Rock from The Lion King, and all seven members dance in formation. “Hey na-na-na/Gotta go insane to stay sane.”
The band was in New York City this week, stopping at The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon for a special episode that showed them in various Manhattan landmarks. They performed “On” inside Grand Central Terminal and tried pastrami sandwiches for the first time at the historic Katz’ Delicatessen in the Lower East Side.
BTS also hitched a ride with James Corden for “Carpool Karaoke” on Tuesday’s Late Late Show. As well as a performance of “On,” the band sang to Bruno Mars and Cardi B’s “Finesse” and “Circles” by Post Malone.
Best of Rolling Stone
- New Doc on INXS' Michael Hutchence: 12 Things We Learned
- Elvis Presley: His 10 Best Country Songs
- Hank Williams' Five Most Haunting Performances
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.