The post Bruce Hornsby Announces New Album, Shares “My Resolve” with James Mercer: Stream appeared first on Consequence of Sound.
Though only ten tracks, Non-Secure Connection is an especially star-studded affair. In addition to The Shins’ frontman, it boasts guest appearances by Rob Moose of yMusic, rising star Jamila Woods, Living Colour guitarist Vernon Reid, and the late Leon Russell, who appears thanks to a demo he recorded with Hornsby 25 years ago.
The collaboration with James Mercer is gloriously old-school. “My Resolve” recalls Hornsby’s pre-Grateful Dead days, when he combined rock with power pop hooks, as in the mega-smash hit “The Way It Is”. But “My Resolve” mostly avoids that previous song’s adult contemporary vibes. It uses hand drums and richly-layered strings to add texture to a track that, otherwise, could have come across as too smooth.
At the chorus, both men sing, “In my resolve I move the rock/ Maybe fall down trying.” The lyrics recall a certain tortured soul out of Greek mythology. Hornsby confirmed as much in a statement, calling the song, “a Sisyphean tale of the creative life, sung with a fellow climber.” Check out “My Resolve” below.
- Bruce Hornsby on Scoring for Spike Lee, Admiring Justin Vernon, and Writing a Song About Father John Misty
- Lucasfilm’s Twice Upon a Time Is a Baffling Bastion of Innovation
Non-Secure Connection Tracklist:
01. Cleopatra Drones
02. Time, The Thief
03. Non-Secure Connection
04. The Rat King (feat. Rob Moose)
05. My Resolve (feat. James Mercer)
06. Bright Star Cast (feat. Jamila Woods and Vernon Reid)
07. Shit’s Crazy Out Here
08. Anything Can Happen (feat. Leon Russell)
09. Porn Hour
10. No Limits
- Danny Masterson Charged With Raping Three Women
- John Cleese Mocks Fox News for False Reporting on a Monty Python Quote
- Trump Voters Are Burning Their Face Masks to Protest COVID-19 Orders
- Comedian Chris D'Elia Accused of Sexual Misconduct, Grooming Underage Girls [Update]
- K-Pop Fans Sabotaged Trump's Under-Attended Tulsa Rally
- Facebook Pulls Trump Ad Featuring Nazi Symbolism