A six-year-old boy who was allegedly thrown from a viewing platform at the Tate Modern is making “amazing” progress, his family has said.
The French tourist, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was left paralysed and unable to speak after suffering a number of injuries including a broken spine.
A boy, 17, who allegedly threw him from 10th floor on August 4 has been charged with attempted murder.
The youngster, who was found on a roof at the art gallery after falling five storeys, is now able to smile and laugh when stories are read to him or he’s told “funny things”.
His family said in a statement: “Hello everybody. Just a little message to tell you about our son’s amazing progresses.
“He is an incredible fighter. Even if he can’t speak or move his body for the moment, we now know for sure that he understands us.”
The family statement added: “It gives us lots of strength and hope, as much as the strength you, all of you, give us since the beginning with your kind messages.
“Thank you so much for what you do for our little boy and for us.”
The family’s message was shared via a GoFundMe web page set up by nurse Vicky Diplacto, from Surrey, whose own brother was paralysed in an incident overseas.
The crowd-funding initiative, which aims to cover the medical costs of the injured French boy’s family, has so far raised over 60,000 Euros.
Ms Diplacto said in a previous online post: “These last few weeks we have seen donations continue and we are slowly creeping closer to the 60,000 euro mark!
“This is incredible and is testament to the huge amount of love and support there is for this family. Once again, I would like to thank each and every one of you.
“We have now finalised the arrangements for withdrawals which means the family will have access to this money whenever they need it now.”
She said a “book of wishes” including supporters’ comments were being compiled for the family.
Last month, the Old Bailey was told that psychiatric reports had been ordered for the 17-year-old accused of throwing the French boy from the viewing platform.
No pleas were entered at the hearing and the teenager was remanded in custody, with the court being told that any trial would be listed to last two weeks and would be held in the new year.
A reporting restriction bans the identities of both the victim and the defendant being made public.