A 12-year-old boy got a six-inch metal spring lodged in his back after a trampoline he was jumping on malfunctioned.
Jamie Quinlan was bouncing on the trampoline in his friend’s back garden in Lincolnshire on Sunday when a spring shot out “like a bullet” and ripped through his T-shirt.
He immediately collapsed in agony and was rushed by ambulance to Sheffield Children’s Hospital, where surgeons removed the object that created a 6cm-deep hole in his skin.
Jamie’s dad Ian, 62, described the freak accident as scary and said his son was lucky to be alive.
READ MORE YAHOO NEWS HERE
He said: “The spring had come off the trampoline like a bullet.
‘If it had hit elsewhere on Jamie’s body, in his head or throat, we could have lost him.
“Children are the most important things in our lives, so people need to be aware of the dangers in their own back garden.”
Jamie, who attends Louth Academy, said he knew something was wrong when he felt a “strange and heavy” sensation in his back.
He added: “It took them about 10 minutes to actually get the spring out of my back.
“The doctors said they had never heard of something like this happening with a trampoline.
“Sometimes it still feels like the spring is in my back, but I am getting a lot better and stronger now.
“I feel relieved that it wasn’t worse.”
After the surgery, Jamie was kept in overnight at the hospital before being discharged on Monday.
Ian and his wife Sandra, 55, who have two other sons, are speaking out about the dangers of garden toys following the freak accident last weekend.
The dad said he wanted people to be aware of how “lethal” trampolines could be if there was no cover on the springs, or if there was a gap.
Ian Quinlan is a full-time carer for his wife, who has Parkinson’s disease.