POPsessions: Why Shailene Woodley Will Never Get in an Elevator with Darth Vader
At age 23, Shailene Woodley has already become one of America’s most accomplished and unique actors. After making her TV debut at 11, Woodley went on to star in “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” before earning a Golden Globe nomination for her role as George Clooney’s daughter in Alexander Payne’s film, "The Descendants."
More recently, Woodley has received rave reviews as the good girl who falls for the school’s troubled charmer in "The Spectacular Now," which is out now on DVD, Blu-ray and VOD.
However, even a Golden Globe nominee has to karaoke now and then. We spoke with Shailene by phone about her pop culture roots for our POPsessions questionnaire.
[Related: Speed Date: Brie Larson Loves Girls Bathrooms, Hates Abbreviations]
1. What was the first movie you saw?
Probably "Beauty and the Beast." I remember loving it. I would watch it all day long, every day, multiple times a day.
2. What movie do you absolutely always stop and watch if you see it on cable?
"Dirty Dancing." It was a movie I grew up with and is one of my all-time favorites. I love the nostalgia of it. I love the romance in it. I love the storyline and the music. I think it’s just such a great comfort film.
3. What movie makes you cry?
The movie that isn’t out yet but will make me cry is "The Fault is In Our Stars" for sure.
4. Who is your TV crush?
I don’t have one. I probably haven’t watched a TV show in five years. The only time I have has been if I’m at a friend’s house and they have on something. I don’t know how people find the time to watch TV. I would love to! I would love to have the time. When I have free time I end up not watching TV.
5. What movie or TV character would you love to be trapped in an elevator with?
Pocahontas or what's her name from “Avatar” [Neytiri], I feel like I’d learn some badass tricks.
6. What movie or TV character would you hate to be trapped in an elevator with?
Darth Vader because his voice would eventually annoy me.
[Related: Catch up with all our POPsessions]
7. If you were kidnapped, what movie or TV character would you call to save you?
I’d call Batman or Spider-Man. Spider-Man would be cool because I could fly in the air but Batman would be cool because I could ride on his motorcycle.
8. What's your TV guilty pleasure?
"Top Chef." It’s my vice; I would love to be able to sit down and watch "Top Chef" every minute.
9. What was your first concert?
My mom took me to see Celine Dion in Vegas.
10. What is your karaoke song?
Either "Bad Touch" or "Jolene."
11. The Beatles or Rolling Stones?
Beatles. Easy. I love what their songs are about, who they are as human beings. And I also prefer that type of music, if I had to be stuck in a car for a few hours, I could listen to the Beatles endlessly. Although I did see the Rolling Stones a few months ago in concert, and it was incredible. Probably one of the best concerts of my life. I’ll never forget it.
12. What song would you want to play for your wedding first dance?
Something funky. It would be fun to play "Sweet Dreams" or some fun 80’s song.
[Related: See the latest posters, still and trailers for Shailene Woodley's "Divergent"]
13. What song should they play at your funeral?
My friends should just get up there and start clapping and singing some random thing. Make up your own song.
14. Have you ever done a choreographed dance from a music video?
I don’t think I have actually.
15. What book changed your life?
"1984" was pretty shape-shifting for me, as well as "Henry and June" by Anais Nin.
16. What website do you visit when no one is watching?
I’m really not a modest person, so if there’s anything I’m embarrassed about, I’d probably flaunt it more than hide it.
17. Who is the most random person you follow on Twitter?
I used to be on Twitter but I’m not anymore. I don’t really look at it.
18. Did you have a poster of a celeb on your wall as a teen?
I didn’t. I had a bunch of drawings from friends and that I did myself.
19.Has another celeb ever made you star-struck when you met them?
No, I’ve never been star-struck. I mean, everyone’s s--t smells the same.
20. Have you ever dressed as a celeb for Halloween? Who?
When I was in 8th Grade I was an Oompah Loompah. When I was 5 or 6, I was Princess Leia. And then a few years ago I was Billy Idol.
See Shailene Woodley in the trailer for "The Spectacular Now."
Follow Richard Rushfield on Twitter, Tumblr and Google Plus.