They don't make many movies like "Big" these days. You know, original, heartfelt and hilarious stories that appeal to teens and adults in equal measure; character-driven fantasies about humans, not vampires, superheroes or aliens.
It's probably why we get extra-nostalgic when thinking about Tom Hanks channeling his inner-tween as a 12-year-old boy who wakes up in a 30-year-old man's body.
"Big" is one of those movies it seems impossible to dislike. You're either a casual fan of it, or a BIG fan of it. In honor of the movie's 25th anniversary Blu-ray release, here are 25 signs you're the latter.
1. You can't walk by a fortune-telling machine without stopping for a moment and wondering, "What If…"
2. "Chopsticks" is the among the only songs -- if not, the only song -- you know how to play on the piano.
3. You'd still kill for a job that entailed testing toys.
4. You can't understand how Tom Hanks could win Oscars for "Philadelphia" and "Forrest Gump," but not "Big."
5. You've always wondered what's happened to this guy:
6. Your idea of success and adult self-dependency is an apartment full of arcade video games. And a giant trampoline.
7. Elizabeth Perkins remains the sexiest woman ever.
8. Still, you've spent an inordinate amount of time questioning the morality of Josh and Susan's relationship and wondering how it would be framed in the court of law.
9. "Laverne and Shirley" was pretty classic television, but you still think Penny Marshall's crowning achievement will always be directing "Big."
10. You've been to Rye Playland in Westchester, NY.
11. You know that Robert De Niro was offered the lead role when it looked like Tom Hanks couldn’t do the film due to scheduling conflicts. You thank your lucky stars Hanks eventually became available (no disrespect to Bob).
12. You know the lyrics to "Down Down Baby" (the "Big" ice cream version).
13. You'll actually watch the "Chopsticks" demonstrations when visiting F.A.O. Schwarz in New York.
14. You'll always consider Robert Loggia a grandfather-type figure.
15. You still own "Big" on VHS.
16. Even though it was released three months earlier, you've always considered "Vice Versa," the Judge Reinhold-Fred Savage body-swapping comedy, "Big"-light.
17. You never found bunk beds that dorky.
18. You've actually looked up how much your own Zoltar Machine would cost.
19. You'd still kinda like to punch John Heard in the face.
20. You've always wanted to play "Cavern of the Evil Wizard." You're bummed it doesn't exist.
21. Silly string still carries a special place in your heart.
22. You know that Barry Sonnenfeld, who'd go on to direct "Get Shorty" and the "Men in Black" movies, was the director of photography on "Big."
23. You wonder if Josh ever tracked Susan down 5 years later, when he was legal.
24. You geeked out over this recent re-creation:
25. You're absolutely horrified to discover Gary Busey auditioned for the role of Josh. Again, you thank your lucky stars.
Follow me on Twitter (@djkevlar)