You know her as Beth Greene, Hershel's daughter, Maggie's sister, nanny to Judith Grimes … and, if a moment in the Season 4 premiere of "The Walking Dead" means what a lot of fans think it means, future love match for Daryl Dixon?
Emily Kinney, who writes her own songs, and, yes, like Beth, is a big Tom Waits fan, was promoted to series regular for the show's fourth season. And so far, the Beth we've seen is a little tougher — reacting rather stoically when informed her boyfriend Zack was eaten by a zombie in the season premiere, for instance. "I think she's trying on different ways of dealing with all of the difficult things that they're going through. I think she's figured out, maybe by watching other people around her, [that the way] to deal with all the loss around her is by sort of putting up these walls," the 28-year-old actress and singer tells Yahoo TV. "To have a strong, new attitude towards what's going on around her. I think she is very aware that in order to survive in this world, you have to be able to keep it together mentally. She's sort of trying out how can I do that."
To give you the chance to get to know the woman behind the character who promises to get a lot more screen time this season, Kinney played along with our rapid-fire, speed date-style interview.Five minutes on the clock, and... go!
1. Where did you grow up? Nebraska.
2. Are you close to your family? Yes.
3. When did you realize you wanted to become an actress? Always.
4. What was the first movie you ever saw? I remember one of the first movies when I was really little was "Curly Sue," one of the ones that stuck with me. I'd act out the scenes and stuff. You know how she's itching at her tights? I love that scene. That's one of the first ones that really stuck with me. Oh, now that I'm thinking about it though, I guess one of my first movies was "Little Mermaid." So "Little Mermaid" and "Curly Sue" probably.
5. What was the last movie you saw? "Prisoners." It was awesome. I loved it.
6. Do you have pets? No.
7. What's the longest relationship you've been in? I don't know, because they've all been so on and off (laughing). OK, like a year, under a year.
8. Do you want kids? Maybe.
9. Have you ever had a roommate from hell? Yes.
10. What's your biggest pet peeve? Oh, that's hard. I love people, so even the things that annoy me I start to love about people. Does that make any sense? I love people's little quirks, so even if something annoys me I start to love it.
11. What did you do last Friday night? Oh, something great. I hung out with my really good friend Conrad. He produced my last album. He's a bass player for Rod Stewart, so he happened to be in town, and I went and got dinner with him and his band in Atlanta. Oh, and I also saw The Whigs play that night. They're a great band. Yeah, so I had a great Friday night.
12. What do you never leave home without? I guess I always have my phone, but it makes me a little … I wouldn't mind leaving it at home sometimes, I guess. Wait, do I always have that with me? Yeah, I do. We all have our phones with us all the time, don't we?
13. Who's your best friend? I have a few. I have more than one.
14. What food can't you stand? I don't eat meat, really, so I don't like … I hate chicken.
15. Do have any allergies? No.
16. Do you go out to eat alone? Yes.
17. Do you go to movies alone? Yes.
18. When was the last time you looked up an ex on Facebook? This week … yeah, this week.
19. Who is your dream co-star? I love Leonardo DiCaprio.
Watch a scene of Kinney singing on "The Walking Dead":
"The Walking Dead" airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.