Oh, Burn! Paula Abdul Sues Tanning Company

Paula Abdul alleges that she had a "Straight Up" disastrous experience at a Los Angeles tanning salon.

On Thursday, the 51-year-old slapped UVASun West Inc. with a lawsuit claiming she was severely burned while receiving a treatment at their salon.

The legal papers filed in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by "The Insider With Yahoo" state that on Jan. 20, 2012, she received the company's SlimStar infrared body wrap treatment. On the UVASun website, the treatment, which costs $129 a session, is described as a "highly effective weight control" which "uses infrared heat that penetrates twice as deep as other heat sources to target toxins and cellulite trapped in pockets below the surface of the skin." The site boasts that someone who does it "may burn 1200 or more calories in just one 50-minute session" and "feel results from your very first session."

However, Abdul alleges in her legal papers that it was applied "negligently, carelessly, and recklessly, so as to cause [her] to suffer severe and painful burns over her body, with an especially severe second or third degree burn on a portion of [her] left thigh."

The former "American Idol" judge, who's a dancer and choreographer, was "hurt and injured in her health, strength, and activity," according to the filing. Not only was her body physically wounded, but it also caused "shock and injury to [her] nervous system," as well as "great mental, physical and nervous strain, pain and suffering, and loss of earnings potential."

The suit also noted that her injuries required medical treatment and is ongoing, so that she will continue to "incur additional such expenses in the future."

As a result, Abdul is seeking an unspecified amount in excess of $25,000 from UVASun West Inc.

The defendant has not yet responded to Yahoo's request for comment.

This isn't the first time a spa service has caused Abdul stress. In 2004, she was treated with unclean equipment at a nail shop in Studio City, California, which resulted in her developing a bacterial infection and having to be hospitalized several times over the course of a year. She later appeared in front of California legislators to share her story in hopes of enforcing stricter sanitary practices at salons. During her testimony, she said, "the pain was so excruciating that even my hair touching my thumb caused me to scream."

Despite the lawsuit, Abdul, who recently celebrated her bat mitzvah in Israel, is having a great year. Yesterday, the day the papers were filed, she shared this positive post with her Twitter followers.