Mindy McCready’s Final Recorded Conversation: ‘The Cruelest, Most Awful Situation I’ve Ever Seen’

Sadly, Mindy McCready’s final 24 hours on earth were some of her worst.

In a taped phone conversation with her good friend just a day before her Sunday afternoon suicide, the country singer sobbed as she recounted finding her boyfriend, David Wilson, just moments after he shot himself in the head at their Heber Springs, Arkansas, home on January 13.

"He was lying on the ground with his brains all over the floor," McCready told private investigator Danno Hanks during the conversation, which was obtained by E! News. "And then I held him and I kissed him and I told him I forgave him. And I said, 'David, none of this means anything. You didn't have to do this. Please, don't die. Please. We love you so much. Please don't die.'"

And he didn’t for two hours, the 37-year-old revealed to Hanks, who claims McCready was aware that their conversation was being recorded. But she didn’t get to be with him in his final moments, she says, because police were still investigating the incident.

[Related: Mindy McCready Suicide: Fans, Friends Share Mixed Reactions]

“They were too concerned about the f***ing GSR [gunshot residue] test, which could've taken three seconds,” blasted a teary McCready, who had adamantly denied pulling the trigger. “They could have rubbed it on my hands and I could've gone with him.” Instead, she says the police “kept me from spending two hours with him that would've been the most precious hours of my life with him."

Before Wilson (who was also the father of McCready’s 10-month-old son Zayne) was transported to the hospital, she says he was “trying to tell me something. He was grabbing me and trying to talk. Of course he couldn't talk at that point, half of his brain was on the floor."

The “Ten Thousand Angels” singer also opened up about the pain of having Zayne and her 6-year-old son Zander taken from her care following Wilson’s death. McCready’s own father, Tim, stated in court documents that she was so grief-stricken in the weeks after losing Wilson, she didn’t get out of bed and was neglecting her boys. “Sleeps all day,” he wrote on February 6. “Drinks all night and is taking Rx drugs. Not bathing or even helping take care of her 2 children.”

On February 16, McCready told her friend that seeing Zayne and Zander put into foster care, "while we're all trying to heal and everybody's trying to get over this was the cruelest, most awful situation I've ever seen. I just can't imagine it."

The next day, after her father Tim returned home to Florida, McCready first shot Wilson’s dog and then herself on the same porch her boyfriend also killed himself. Neighbors reported hearing two shots at 3:31 p.m. and when Cleburne County deputies arrived, she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hanks has not yet responded to omg!’s request for comment.

More Features On Yahoo!:

Follow omg! on Twitter