The 16-year-old daughter of the late Australian animal expert Steve Irwin, who recently talked about being "a big advocate for young girls dressing their age," is experimenting with makeup. The levelheaded Australian teen shared an Instagram selfie in which she's looking age-appropriate glam with her peepers accented with black eyeliner. Her hair is down and she's wearing a chic leather jacket over a sunflower top as she relaxes in the grass.
While she certainly looks more adult, it seems she's sticking to her personal style mantra, which is, "Don't try so hard," she told News Corp Australia in June. "I look around at a lot of young girls that are my age and they're always trying to dress older. Whether it's wearing revealing clothes or hardly wearing any clothes at all, I feel really bad for them. … A pair of jeans and a T-shirt is just as gorgeous and makes you look classier."
A quick scroll through classy Bindi's Instagram beyond the makeup pic reminds us that the young animal lover is growing up, as these five other photos demonstrate.
1. She's driving! Last month, she turned 16, as we discussed here, and celebrated by getting her learner's permit. "It's official! I passed!!" she captioned the shot. "16 is feeling good."
2. She's stylish. Look no further than this dress-swirling shot of the barefoot teen taken a music festival.
3. There are rumors about her love life. When she posted this photo of her longtime friend Luke Reavley, who works with the Irwins, to wish him a happy birthday, rumors immediately swirled that they were dating. They're not.
4. She has a mature sensibility. In the same interview with News Corp Australia, Bindi called herself an "86-year-old soul" and noted, "I love a cup of tea and a good book and none of that [other stuff] really interests me… I guess growing up at [the] Australia Zoo and getting to travel all over the world, I have this great outlook on life and that's what I hope I inspire other kids to have." True to that, she posted this photo of her "perfect" birthday dinner: "a cup of tea, my book, and takeaway Chinese food."
5. Come on, just look at her! All her throwback photos — especially the ones of her with her dear ole dad — remind us that she's grown by leaps and bounds. However, it's nice to see she seems to have a good head on her shoulders.