Bill Belichick praises Jarrett Stidham, keeps quiet about Tom Brady’s heir in NFL Network appearance
Alex: Hundreds of combat soldiers with the 82nd Airborne were ordered to leave Washington, D.C, Thursday after retired generals and the nation's top officer rebuked Donald Trump over his use of the military. Members of the elite unit had been deployed to the nation's capital to back up National Guard soldiers ordered onto the streets by Attorney General Bill Barr in a show of force. The active duty soldiers will head back to base in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, a senior Defense official told NBC News, after Army General and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley publicly told the nation's troops to 'uphold the Constitution' and said that the National Guard was under governors' control - pointedly not the president's. The troops spent a week at bases near the city on standby as peaceful protests turned violent in the nation’s capital with instances of looting, arson and destruction – but they were never called into D.C. to respond to the civil unrest. While the capital is under federal control, the removal of hundreds of combat troops was a highly-visible sign that Trump had been forced into retreat on his threat to deploy soldiers under his control in protest-hit cities. The about 200 members of the Army's 82nd Airborne division who were sent to the capital city were supposed to leave the region Wednesday night.