There’s yet another “Charlie’s Angels” movie out in theaters, starring an entirely new trio of young actresses. Directed by Elizabeth Banks, who also wrote the screenplay, this third installment in the film series — a continuation of the story that began with the 1970s television show — stars Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska as the new generation of Angels who are working for a private detective agency.
To celebrate the return of the franchise, here are 10 of the most unforgettable, badass action movie heroines. From Foxy Brown to Ilsa Faust in the “Mission Impossible” movies, and Leeloo in “The Fifth Element” and Diana in “Wonder Woman,” there are plenty of well-drawn female action protagonists with agency. Alas, there can only be 10, and this is only a single opinion.
More from IndieWire
- Elizabeth Banks Says 'Captain Marvel,' 'Wonder Woman' Were Hits Because They Belong to 'Male Genre'
- 'Ford v Ferrari' Outpaces the Box Office, While 'Charlie's Angels' Is Hellish
- 'Ford v Ferrari' Gets Lead-Row Position Among Holiday Releases This Weekend
Best of IndieWire
- Wes Anderson's Favorite Movies: 30 Films the Auteur Wants You to See
- 15 Famously Homoerotic Horror Movies, From 'The Craft' to 'Hellraiser'
- The 10 Best Slasher Movies Ever Made, From 'Candyman' to 'Psycho'