Movie and TV villains come in all shapes and sizes, but super villains are the real deal. A normal villain might just be a mean school bully or a local businessman who wants to bulldoze a summer camp. Super villains take things up a notch. They want to take over the world, destroy civilization with a robot army or even snap half the universe’s population out of existence. Even though they’re usually defeated in the end, they hold the world hostage and force heroes to prove just how super they actually are. Without a good super villain, a superhero is just someone who walks around in colorful spandex.
With the superhero renaissance upon us, there are lots of worthy super villains to choose from, but this list has the best of the best. These baddies come from some of the highest-grossing films of all-time and some of the most beloved movies and TV shows. There are CGI and human villains, and even an Oscar winner in the mix. (How many superheroes have won an Oscar?) With the rise of superhero movies from Marvel and DC Comics, the two comic book juggernauts have a strong showing, but some of the older fan-favorites made the list, too.
More from Variety
- Camerimage Main Competition includes 'Ford v Ferrari,' 'Joker' and 'The Irishman'
- Korea Box Office: 'Maleficent 2' Debuts on Top, Deposes 'Joker'
- Why 'Joker' Is About All of Us (Column)
Best of Variety
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could
- 'Game of Thrones' Filming Locations in Northern Ireland to Open as Tourist Attractions