Netflix may get most of the attention, but it’s hardly a one-stop shop for cinephiles who are looking to stream essential classic and contemporary films. Each of the prominent streaming platforms — and there are more of them all the time — caters to its own niche of film obsessives.
From chilling horror fare on Shudder, to the boundless wonders of the Criterion Channel, and esoteric (but unmissable) festival hits on Film Movement Plus and OVID.tv, IndieWire’s monthly guide will highlight the best of what’s coming to every major streaming site, with an eye towards exclusive titles that may help readers decide which of these services is right for them.
More from IndieWire
- 'Earthquake Bird' Trailer: Alicia Vikander and Riley Keough Are Up to Something Creepy in Netflix's Noir
- 'Big Mouth' Co-Creators Apologize for Inaccurate Pansexuality Scene
- 'Tell Me Who I Am' Trailer: Shocking Family Secrets Unfold in Latest Wild Netflix Documentary
Here’s the best of the best for October 2019.
Best of IndieWire
- The 12 Best Zombie Movies Ever Made
- 100 Years of Cinematography: 13 Films That Show the Evolution of Filmmaking
- Quentin Tarantino's Last Movie: 17 Unmade Projects That Could Be His Final Film