Disney+ has put in development a Beauty & The Beast prequel series to the 2017 Disney live-action feature film, with stars Josh Gad and Luke Evans set to reprise their roles, sources close to the project confirmed to Deadline. It hails from Once Upon A Time creators Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz and ABC Signature Studios.
Co-written by Gad, Kitsis and Horowitz, the as-yet untitled series is planned as a six-episode musical event, set many years before the time period of the feature film.
More from Deadline
- Derek Hough Joins 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' As Recurring
- Adam Shankman Directing 'Hocus Pocus' Sequel For Disney+
- Disney Cancels Disney+ European Launch Event Over Coronavirus Fears
Gad, Kitsis and Horowitz will executive produce, along with Evans. Gad played LeFou in the film and Evans portrayed Gaston.
The 2017 Beauty and the Beast film, directed by Bill Condon, grossed more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office. Emma Watson, Dan Stevens and Kevin Kline also starred.
Disney declined comment.
The Hollywood Reporter was first to report the news.
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: US Death Toll Grows To 21; 18 From Washington State Nursing Home
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More