The post The Beatles release Abbey Road 50th anniversary box set: Stream appeared first on Consequence of Sound.
It may be hard to believe, but somehow The Beatles’ penultimate album, Abbey Road, came out five decades ago. To celebrate the classic record’s 50th anniversary, a newly mixed box set has been released. Stream it below via Apple Music and Spotify.
The anniversary collection features new mixes created by producer Giles Martin from the original multi-track tapes of his father, George Martin, the initial Abbey Road producer. Additionally, the reissue includes two discs of bonus materials loaded with session outtakes and demos.
Listeners were given a small preview of Giles’ new approach in August with the George Harrison-penned tune, “Something”. The differences between this version and its 2009 remastering are subtle but substantial; the drums are crisp and tight, vocals sit close up as strings and organ bloom around the verses. And of course there’s Harrison’s beautiful guitar work, which feels even more intimate as he bends those solo notes.
(Read: Top 21 Songs About Nostalgia)
As befitting such an iconic record, the 50th anniversary Abbey Road box set comes complete with bells and whistles. Options include vinyl and CDs packages ranging between one to four discs worth of material. The super deluxe set comes equipped with a Blu-ray featuring multiple mixes, along with a 100-page hardback book with a forward written by Paul McCartney. The book is also full of handwritten lyrics, essays, and unpublished photos from McCartney’s late wife, Linda. All the configurations can be found at The Beatles’ site, or via Amazon.
Take a listen to the digital version below.
Abbey Road Super Deluxe Edition Box Set Artwork:
Abbey Road Super Deluxe Edition Tracklist:
CD 1: 2019 Stereo Mix
01. Come Together
03. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
04. Oh! Darling
05. Octopus’s Garden
06. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
07. Here Comes The Sun
09. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
CD 2: Sessions
01. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
02. Goodbye (Home Demo)
03. Something (Studio Demo)
04. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
05. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
06. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
07. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
08. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
09. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
01. Come Together (Take 5)
02. The End (Take 3)
03. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
04. Sun King (Take 20)
05. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
06. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
07. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
08. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
09. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969) (Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage
- Weezer's cover of Nirvana's "Lithium" brings Dave Grohl to tears: Watch
- Aaron Carter just got a new face tattoo
- Cream drummer Ginger Baker is "critically ill"
- Foo Fighters perform "Everlong" with Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian's 8-year-old son: Watch