The post The Beatles announce Abbey Road 50th anniversary box set appeared first on Consequence of Sound.
The Beatles will release an expansive new box set of Abbey Road in honor of the album’s 50th anniversary. Due out September 27th, the limited edition Super Deluxe Edition box set spans 4 CDs and boasts an extra 23 additional tracks, including recordings and demos. The original album has been newly mixed by George Martin’s son Giles Martin as well as mix engineer Sam Okell.
The Super Deluxe Edition box set features a new stereo album mix, sourced directly from the original eight-track session tapes. It also comes with a 100-page hardcover book featuring a foreward by Paul McCartney, an introduction from Giles Martin, several chapters of written history by author Kevin Howlett, track-by-track session notes, the cover art photo shoot, and an essay by author David Hepworth about the album’s influence half a century later. Superfans and collectors alike will be pleased to learn the book includes several previously unpublished photographs, many of which were taken by Linda McCartney, as well as never-before published images of handwritten lyrics, sketches, recording sheets, tape boxes, and a George Martin score. In total, it costs $109.98 and pre-orders are ongoing.
Those looking to celebrate the newly mixed Abbey Road without dropping a hundred dollars will be pleased to know other options have been announced, too. There’s also a Deluxe Edition 2 CD release, a 1 CD release, a Super Deluxe Edition 3 LP box set, a 1 LP picture disc, and a 1 LP release.
In anticipation of the box set’s release, the new mix of “Something”, as well as its studio demo and an instrumental take, have been released. Stream those below.
Now that you’ve heard the charm of the behind-the-scene song details, consider what it would be like hearing the same thing for many more Abbey Road tracks. Pretty special, huh? Check out the box set artwork, its tracklist, and a special unboxing video of everything below.
Abbey Road Super Deluxe Edition Box Set Artwork:
Abbey Road Tracklist:
CD 1: 2019 Stereo Mix
01. Come Together
03. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
04. Oh! Darling
05. Octopus’s Garden
06. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
07. Here Comes The Sun
09. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
CD 2: Sessions
01. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session & Reduction Mix)
02. Goodbye (Home Demo)
03. Something (Studio Demo)
04. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (Take 7)
05. Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)
06. Oh! Darling (Take 4)
07. Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
08. You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
09. Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
10. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3 / Medley)
11. Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
12. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)
CD 3: Sessions
01. Come Together (Take 5)
02. The End (Take 3)
03. Come And Get It (Studio Demo)
04. Sun King (Take 20)
05. Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
06. Polythene Pam (Take 27)
07. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
08. Because (Take 1 – Instrumental)
09. The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969) (Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End)
10. Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
11. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)
BLU-RAY: Abbey Road
— Dolby Atmos
— 96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
— 96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)
- Full Woodstock recording to air on WXPN at exact time of original festival
- "Teenage Dream" video star accuses Katy Perry of sexual harassment
- Jack Black and Jack White have finally recorded a song together
- DEVO confirm rare live appearance at Desert Daze: "This could be the last time DEVO plays on this planet"
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth announce separation