A very big-time critic has thrown his hat into the ring when it comes to year-end lists of the best movies and television shows of 2019. Indeed, President Barack Obama has weighed in on his own favorites — and we can’t help but notice a distinct theme emerging from his picks. The former POTUS took to Twitter to make his faves known for more than 111 million followers. “This year’s list includes everything from explorations of class dynamics and relationships, to an inspired reboot of a classic graphic novel, to a portal back to one of the most special places in history — an Aretha Franklin concert,” he wrote on Twitter, along with a graphic rounding up his media picks.
More from SheKnows
- Taylor Swift Actually Went to 'Cat School' to Prepare For Her Role in Cats
- Jennifer Lopez Reveals Her Favorite Movies She's Ever Been In -- Which Ones Made the List?
- Salma Hayek Shares Her Comically Bad First (& Probably Last) Experience With Lip Injections
Next up are my favorite movies and TV shows of 2019. Of course, there’s also American Factory, a film from our own production company, Higher Ground, that was recently shortlisted for an Oscar. Here’s the full list: pic.twitter.com/PEcgwotcxm
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) December 29, 2019
For her part, Wilde couldn’t even believe the tribute from the top, tweeting, “OH MY GOD,” along with a clip from the flick.
But overall, we noticed (and admired) a distinct feminist pattern among the big-screen faves named by the former president, who raised two daughters with his wife, Michelle. Just imagining those family movie nights make us smile!
Best of SheKnows
- All the Non-Holiday Winter Movies You Should Be Watching Right Now
- 11 Female Film Characters Who Made an Impact in 2018