“Last week, there was some confusion around certain content uploaded to Giphy and we temporarily removed these GIFs while we reviewed the situation,” the company said in a statement. “We are happy to report that the [Baby Yoda] GIFs are once again live on Giphy.”
More from Variety
- 'The Mandalorian': Carl Weathers on the 'Many Possibilities' of Baby Yoda and the 'Blaze of Glory' in Episode 3
- 'The Mandalorian': 5 Burning Questions From Episode 3
- Baby Yoda Merchandise to Debut Ahead of Holiday Shopping Season
Earlier reports had suggested Disney copyright claims were responsible for the removal of Baby Yoda GIFs, after a Vulture staffer noticed the publication’s GIFs of the cuddly creature were deleted from Giphy. But it turns out Disney was not responsible for the image removals. Disney maintains an official channel on Giphy but so far has not published any images of the Baby Yoda character.
Baby Yoda, officially referred to as The Child, has become a social-media smash hit. The character, which looks like an infant but is apparently 50 years old, first appears near the end of the premiere episode of “The Mandalorian,” when the title character (played Pedro Pascal) finds the creature that resembles the legendary, croaky-voiced Jedi master from the original Star Wars storylines.
Looking to capitalize on Baby Yoda’s dramatic burst into the zeitgeist, Disney is prepping the release of several products tied to the character for the holiday shopping season.
Here are some of the most popular Baby Yoda images currently on Giphy:
Best of Variety
- Oprah's Favorite Things of 2019: You Can't Go Wrong Gifting One of These This Year
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could