It's been less than 24 hours since attorney Lisa Bloom announced she had a new client who phoned in a complaint to Fox News that Bill O'Reilly leered at her and called her "hot chocolate" when no one was around - but he's already off the air and she's declaring victory.
Bloom told The Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday that her client, an African-American woman who worked for the network in 2008, was inspired to tell her story after a New York Times exposé sent shockwaves through the media industry with reports that at least five women had been paid millions to keep quiet about O'Reilly's behavior.
The attorney addressed Rupert Murdoch and his sons, Lachlan and James, directly on Twitter later that night. "Dear Murdochs, I'm not giving up until he's gone," she wrote. "My phone's ringing off the hook. I'm representing them all for free. Sincerely, Lisa Bloom."
It was expected that the Murdochs would decide O'Reilly's fate during a Thursday board meeting, but the announcement came surprisingly early. A brief, vague statement from 21st Century Fox issued Wednesday makes it unclear exactly how the divorce went down: "After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O'Reilly have agreed that Bill O'Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel."
Bloom, again, turned to social media to share her reaction. "When women speak our truth the old order shatters," she wrote. "We slayed the dragon."
"I am very proud to have stood with my brave clients who stood up for themselves and all the silenced women," the attorney wrote. "Fox News should have fired him in 2004 when the first complaint was made, but at least they did it now. They did it because we persisted."
The 2004 complaint came from Andrea Mackris, a former associate producer who was reportedly paid a $9 million settlement after suing the anchor. "I was disgusted that she had tape recordings of Bill O'Reilly calling her while he was masturbating and, after that came to light, he kept his job," Bloom told THR.
It's unclear what the final straw was for The O'Reilly Factor host and his longtime network but, in April alone, Bloom has assisted three women in filing reports with Fox News and has called on the New York State Division of Human Rights to launch an investigation into the company's practices. Bloom thanks her clients for the victory in her statement, which is posted in full below.
Here is my victory statement. pic.twitter.com/TQLC6Oz9gk
- Lisa Bloom (@LisaBloom) April 19, 2017