EXCLUSIVE: Ava DuVernay’s ARRAY Releasing has acquired the coming-of-age drama Jezebel directed, written, produced by and co-starring Numa Perrier. The film is set to stream on Netflix starting January 16, 2020, and will open theatrically in New York, Los Angeles and other select cities that same month.
Jezebel made its world premiere at SXSW this year and details Perrier’s real-life experiences. The film follows 19-year-old Tiffany (Tiffany Tenille) as she navigates her dying mother’s financial struggles. By working as an Internet fetish cam girl in the ’90s, the young woman uses her fantasy world as an escape from her real-life circumstances.
More from Deadline
- 'The Body Remembers When The World Broke Open' Trailer: ARRAY Drama Spotlights Rarely-Portrayed Female Indigenous Narratives
- Ava DuVernay's OWN Drama 'Cherish The Day' Rounds Out Cast, Adds Directors Blitz Bazawule, Aurora Guerrero And Deborah Kampmeier
- Ava DuVernay & 'Hellion' Director Kat Candler's Texas Oil Union Drama In Development At TNT
As Perrier’s feature debut, Jezebel won Best Director and Best Narrative Feature at the American Black Film Festival as well as the Craig Brewer Emerging Filmmaker Award at the Indie Memphis Film Festival.
“Numa Perrier’s directorial debut delivers a beautiful balance of poignancy and humor to reveal truths about women, family and sisterhood in a way we rarely witness,” said ARRAY president Tilane Jones. “Numa’s exploration of women’s relationships to their bodies, their inner life and their outer world is exciting to witness and we’re proud to amplify this new and exciting voice in cinema.”
ARRAY has acquired distribution rights in the U.S., Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. The deal was negotiated by Gordon Bobb of Del, Shaw on behalf of ARRAY, and Stephen D. Barnes of Morris Yorn handled negotiations for Perrier.
Jezebel is the fifth acquisition of the year for ARRAY. It previously released Samuel Bazawule’s The Burial of Kojo, Hepi Mita’s Merata and Phillip Youmans’ Burning Cane. Most recently, ARRAY released The Body Remember When the World Broke Open from filmmakers Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers and Kathleen Hepburn.
Watch the first trailer and check out the poster for Jezebel below.
Best of Deadline
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers