“Why does everyone ask me if I’m getting fired or quitting every 20 seconds?” McCain said in response to a viewer question on Bravo’s Watch What Happens: Live With Andy Cohen. “No other host has to deal with this BS. Yes, I’m coming back. It’s an election cycle.”
More from Deadline
- Keke Palmer Says She "Expected" Her 'Good Morning America' Show Would Be Canceled
- Bill Maher In I-Told-You-So Mode Over Donald Trump's Election-Delay Idea
- Whoopi Goldberg On 'Ghost' At 30, 'Gone With The Wind's' Racism & How The Academy Board Governor Is Helping Drive AMPAS Toward Diversity
McCain will be going on maternity leave this fall – she’s expecting her first child, with husband, The Federalist publisher Ben Domenech – and while ABC has not announced her temporary replacement, McCain herself earlier this week endorsed recent New York Times exile Bari Weiss for the gig.
The controversial Weiss, a self-described liberal with a persistent opposition of things she deems left-wing politically correct dogma, was mentioned for the job in a Decider column by writer Claire Spellberg. “It’s clear that Weiss, with her provocative takes and fervent critics, has the stuff to fill McCain’s seat, even just for a few weeks,” the Decider columnist wrote. “If McCain is a firecracker, Weiss is the match that makes it go boom.”
McCain likes the idea. She tweeted, “FWIW – I love the idea of @bariweiss filling in for me when I go on maternity leave…”
— Meghan McCain (@MeghanMcCain) August 5, 2020
The View currently is on summer hiatus until September, and the cohosts had been appearing remotely from their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Watch the McCain clip above, where the Republican stalwart also reiterates her refusal to vote for Trump this year but won’t commit to Biden.
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto