Angelina Jolie is back again this week with blood in her eye, evil in her heart and horns on her head to reprise her aggressively colorful portrayal of the title character in “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil.” So we thought it might be a good time to look back at some highlights — and lowlights — of her movie career — as a performer, that is.
Coming up next, the Oscar winner has Peter Pan prequel “Come Away,” the Taylor Sheridan-directed drama “Those Who Wish Me Dead” and Marvel’s “Eternals,” in which she plays Thena.
More from Variety
- Bebe Rexha Drops Empowering Music Video From 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil' (Watch)
- Film Review: Angelina Jolie in 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil'
- How Angelina Jolie Relates to 'Maleficent': 'There's a Part of Us That Is Just Unbridled'
Jolie has also delved into directing in the last decade, helming “In the Land of Blood and Honey” in 2011, “Unbroken” in 2014, “By the Sea” in 2015 and “First They Killed My Father” in 2017.
Jolie has also focused much of her time on humanitarian causes, completing dozens of field missions and traveling to war zones to meet with U.S. troops and refugees. She credits her experiences filming “Lara Croft: Tomb Raider” with opening her eyes to the situation in Cambodia, the setting of “First They Killed My Father.”
The daughter of actor Jon Voight, she made her acting debut as a child in Hal Ashby’s “Lookin’ to Get Out,” which starred her father.
Best of Variety
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could
- 'Game of Thrones' Filming Locations in Northern Ireland to Open as Tourist Attractions