Italian opera singer Andrea Bocelli is backing out of performing at Donald Trump’s inauguration ceremony on Jan. 20.
The world renown tenor bowed out due to growing pressure from fans on social media. A source told “Page Six”, “Bocelli said there was no way he’d take the gig . . . he was ‘getting too much heat’ and he said no,” while another added, “Trump suggested to Bocelli he not participate because of the backlash. It’s sad people on the left kept him from performing on a historic day.”
The hashtag #BoycottBocelli quickly gained momentum on social media with fans urging the singer to withdraw from performing. One fan wrote, “I love your voice, but will feel obligated to join #BoycottBocelli if you sing at Trump’s coronation. Please don’t.”
While some fans threatened to throw Bocelli’s CDs in the trash bin, others pleaded with the singer to reconsider on his Facebook page.
Bocelli and Trump have a history with one another. Bocelli performed in a concert held at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach in 2010.
So far, former America’s Got Talent star Jackie Evancho is the only talent confirmed to perform at the inauguration.
Click on the video below to find out why Jackie Evancho is also facing backlash for agreeing to perform: