Written by Gutierrez, Luchador is a character-driven action drama about a fictional, Lucha Libre-inspired city run by colorful gangs of Mexican Wrestlers at the brink of tyranny, and the unlikely young wrestler who becomes its champion and savior, both inside and outside the ring.
More from Deadline
- 'Blade Runner' Anime Series Inspired By Movie Heads To Adult Swim's Toonami
- Ted Melfi & Kimberly Quinn's Goldenlight Films Inks First-Look TV Deal With Alcon
- Alcon TV Group & Atlas Entertainment Land PI Novel 'IQ' For TV Series
Gutierrez will serve as executive producer alongside Alcon Television Group’s Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson and Ben Roberts. Roberts brought the project into Alcon, which will take the project to market later this year.
“We are thrilled to work with Diego in this exciting world he has envisioned for these rich characters,” said Kosove and Johnson. “Creatively we see this as ripe ground for many types of stories in many different mediums.”
Gutierrez is best known as the creator and executive producer of popular Spanish-language Netflix series Monarca starring Irene Azuela and Juan Manuel Bernal. His previous credits include writer and executive producer on From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series, as well as Syfy Networks’ Warehouse 13 and Paramount Network’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Gutierrez is managed by A.B. Fischer at Literate and attorney Bruce Gellman.
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto