Alan Metter, the director for the 1980s pop culture films Girls Just Want To Have Fun and Back To School, died on June 7, according to the New York Film Academy, where he taught. Details on the cause or location were not provided.
Metter was born in Sharon, Mass., on Dec. 19, 1942 and graduated from the University of Arizona in 1965 with a degree in philosophy. He then moved to Los Angeles to pursue an entertainment career.
More from Deadline
- Michael F. Goldman Dies: Manson International Film Sales Owner Was 80
- Denise Cronenberg Dies: Costume Designer On Major Films & Sister Of David Cronenberg Was 81
- Kurt Thomas Dies: First American To Win Gymnastics Gold And Actor Was 64
His early days saw him directing music videos for George Harrison and Oliva Newton-John. But he got his break with a directing job on Girls Just Want to Have Fun, starring Sarah Jessica Parker.
From there, he directed Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield and Moving with Richard Pryor.
His resume also lists the TV special The Winds of Whoopie with Steve Martin, and the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen vehicles Billboard Dad and Passport to Paris.
Metter retired in the early 2000s and moved to Florida.
He is survived by his son, Julian Metter, daughter-in-law Kelsey Metter, granddaughters Jasmine and Kaiya Metter, partner Katherine O’Flynn Christian and her children, Gillian and Simon, and grandchildren, Rhys, Owen and Jack.
Today, we would like to remember American film director & former #NYFA instructor, Alan Metter. Well-known for comedy film "Back to School," he also produced & directed the 1983 TV special "The Winds of Whoopie" for Steve Martin. Alan will be forever missed 🕊️ Rest in Peace. pic.twitter.com/6bFbJ9Xn42
— New York Film Academy (@NYFA) June 17, 2020
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: Global Cases Pass 8 Million As Death Toll Nears 450,000; U.S. Deaths At 116,000 - Update
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto