The post Alan Menken Become 16th Person to Achieve EGOT Status appeared first on Consequence of Sound.
The veteran composer had already won 11 Grammys and eight Academy Awards thanks to his songwriting contributions for Disney classics like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and Tangled. In 2012, he received his first Tony Award for the score to Newsies.
His latest accolade, and the final piece of his EGOT crown, came this past weekend when he received a Daytime Emmy Award. Specifically, Menken’s song “Waiting in the Wings”, from Tangled: The Series: Rapunzel and the Great Tree, was awarded outstanding original song in a children’s, young adult or animated program.
Menken is the 16th EGOT winner to date and first since 2018, when John Legend, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and Tim Rice all achieved such a status in the same year.
Listen to “Waiting in the Wings” and some of Menken’s other known classics below.
- 10 Caddyshack Quotes You Probably Say All the Time
- R.I.P. John Saxon, A Nightmare on Elm Street Actor Dies at 83
- Black-Metal Legend Ihsahn Calls Out Taylor Swift Over Album Artwork
- Watch: "AC/DC Back in Black 40th Anniversary: A Virtual Celebration"
- Grimes Calls Out Elon Musk After He Tweets "Pronouns Suck"