Alamo Drafthouse Cinema has tapped former Starbucks executive and president of United Planet Fitness Partners Shelli Taylor as Chief Executive Officer of Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. She will officially assume the post May 1.
“Six months ago I began searching for a CEO who could work as a partner and collaborator, with a strong voice and battle-tested leadership skills. Shelli Taylor brings that and more,” said Drafthouse founder Tim League. “I am in awe of the depth and breadth of Shelli’s leadership and brand growth experience. I am excited to partner with her to rise from the current challenges that our industry faces and continue to drive towards our company vision, to be the best damn cinema that has ever or will ever exist.”
More from Deadline
- Texas Allows The Re-Opening Of Movie Theaters, But Chains Cinemark, AMC & Alamo Eyeing Later Than Sooner
- Alamo Drafthouse Launches "Alamo-At-Home" Programming Series
- Kino Marquee Virtual Arthouse Program Expands To 150 Cinemas With Alamo Drafthouse & Laemmle In Streaming Cannes Winner 'Bacurau'
“I am incredibly honored and excited to assume the role of CEO at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. Tim League and his talented team have built an unequaled cinema brand that is built on passion, innovation, and a local community mindset encompassing everything from food and drink to fantastic programming,” said Taylor. “I am committed to Alamo Drafthouse’s vision of sharing the films we love with the widest possible audience while offering the best moviegoing experience in the industry.”
League will step into the newly created role of executive chairman, where he will lead the board of directors and continue to guide and develop new creative initiatives for Alamo Drafthouse, sister company Mondo, and the Austin-based Fantastic Fest.
Taylor’s new role comes at a critical time when the Drafthouse is navigating a landscape where theaters have shuttered due to the coronavirus pandemic. Her first priority is to lead the reopening of the theaters, ensuring the safest possible experience for both guests and staff. Since the shutdowns began, the Drafthouse team has worked diligently in collaboration with industry groups and local health officials to develop comprehensive new safety protocols and training procedures.
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: U.S. Death Toll Passes 60,000 As More Of Country Begins Relaxing Restrictions - Update
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto