AFI FEST, Los Angeles’ sole major film festival, has weathered more than a few changes over the past couple of years, from becoming the only big game in town after the loss of the Los Angeles Film Festival in 2018 to the departure of long-time Festival Director Jacqueline Lyanga after a strong eight-year run. But some things haven’t changed: AFI FEST still serves as the last big-time fest of the calendar year, offering a robust slate of buzzy world premieres and deserving films plucked from the likes of TIFF, Berlin, Cannes, Venice, and beyond.
This year’s edition is no different, boasting premieres of awards hopeful latecomers like “The Banker,” “Queen & Slim,” and “Richard Jewell” alongside LA premieres of smaller gems like “Blow the Man Down” and “Babyteeth.” For cinephiles looking to catch up and be on the cutting edge of the year in film, there’s no better bet than AFI FEST.
More from IndieWire
- 'The Great Hack' Explores How Facebook's User Data Helped Power Donald Trump's 2016 Victory
- Charlize Theron's Badass Collaborators Give Spark to Cinematheque Tribute Event
- 'Work in Progress': It's Time You Get to Know Abby McEnany, So Let Her Introduce Herself -- Watch
With that in mind, seek out these 10 movies when the festival begins this Thursday, November 14.
Best of IndieWire
- Wes Anderson's Favorite Movies: 30 Films the Auteur Wants You to See
- 15 Famously Homoerotic Horror Movies, From 'The Craft' to 'Hellraiser'
- The 10 Best Slasher Movies Ever Made, From 'Candyman' to 'Psycho'