Netflix’s Martin Scorsese mob drama The Irishman, which already has picked up Best Picture wins from critics groups, is one of the 10 films named to the American Film Institute’s AFI Motion Pictures of the Year list.
The diverse group for 2019 includes ranges from indies like Lulu Wang’s A24 pic The Farewell to a comic book tentpole in Warner Bros’ Joker (see the full list below).
More from Deadline
- AFI Awards TV: 'Chernobyl', 'Game Of Thrones', 'Fosse/Verdon' Make The Top 10
- Laura Dern On "Wildly Different" Feminist Narratives Of 'Marriage Story' & 'Little Women,' Returning To 'Jurassic Park' & More 'Big Little Lies'
- A Big Display For The Mostly Small-Screen 'Irishman' Takes Shape At The Landmark
Netflix was one of three studios to place two titles on the organization’s annual list, now in its 20th year. The streamer’s Marriage Story also made the cut, while Warner Bros has Joker and Clint Eastwood’s Richard Jewell. Sony has Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Greta Gerwig’s Little Women.
AFI also recognized Bong Joon Ho’s Palme d’Or-winning Neon pic Parasite with an AFI Special Award, designated for a work of excellence outside the institute’s criteria for American film and television.
All honorees will gather January 3 at the AFI Awards’ private luncheon in Los Angeles.
Here’s this year’s film winners:
AFI Motion Pictures of the Year
ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
Best of Deadline
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers