Written by Canals, 81 Words is based on Alix Spiegel’s award-winning This American Life episode, “81 Words” and soon-to-be-released PBS documentary Cured, directed by Bennett Singer & Patrick Sammon.
More from Deadline
- 'Grown-ish' Star Yara Shahidi Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios, Launches Production Company
- Hiro Murai's Super Frog Strikes First-Look Deal With FX Productions
- Pamela Adlon Inks New Overall Deal With FX Prods As 'Better Things' Season 5 Renewal Is Confirmed
Until 1974, the medical establishment considered gay people sexually deviant and diagnosed them as mentally ill. 81 Words tells the true story of gay activists Kameny an Gittings who risked their career and reputation to conspire with the GAYPA – a clandestine group of closeted psychiatrists – and challenge the American Psychiatric Association’s definition of homosexuality.
Canals executive produces via his Story Ave. Productions banner with Pal Pictures’ Elisabeth Seldes and Neri Tannenbaum. Spiegel, Singer and Sammon will serve as producers on the project. 20th Century Fox TV is the studio.
Canals is co-creator and executive producer, with Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, of the Emmy- and Golden Globe-nominated and Peabody Award-winning drama series Pose. The series, named one of the Best TV Programs of the Year by the American Film Institute in 2018 and 2019, will return for its third season in 2021. Canals was a Staff Writer on Freeform’s Dead of Summer and made his TV directorial debut with the eighth episode of the second season of Pose titled “Revelations.” He’s repped by Epicenter and Felker Toczek Suddleson Abramson.
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto