Whether it’s getting to be the spookiest time of year or you just need something to take your mind off the daily grind, nothing does the trick quite like scaring the bejesus out of yourself.
While movies might seem like the obvious choice for some cheap thrills, television has its own back catalog that will terrify you and take its time doing it, making your shivers and shakes last days, rather than hours.
More from IndieWire
- Bring Back 'Hannibal' to Eat the Rude - and the Rich
- Is David Lynch Making a New 'Twin Peaks'?
- TV's Most Memorable Dance Sequences, According to Critics
While it would be easy to dash off a list of every television show that once had a jump scare or went all-in on creepy special effects, we’ve instead crafted a high-quality collection of shows available to stream at a moment’s notice, some old favorites, some under-rated gems, all ready and able to keep you awake long into the night, wondering what might be hiding under your bed or lurking in your closet.
Brace yourselves, things are about to get scary.
Best of IndieWire
- Fall 2019 Preview: 25 Must-Watch TV Shows
- ‘The Lord of the Rings’: Everything You Need to Know About Amazon’s Big Money Adaptation
- Disney+: 200 Must-Watch TV Shows & Movies Available on Launch