Five movies and 25 years into the “Jurassic Park” series, “Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom” is here to blow up the dino-filled island and bring us a bunch of new evil corporate stooges who have nefarious plans for the de-extinct animals. So how does J.A. Bayona’s flick stack up against its predecessors?
5. Jurassic Park III” — Just completely unremarkable in every way, and somehow manages to completely dodge the “corporations are dumb and bad” thing that the entire rest of the franchise is about.
4. “Jurassic World” — This one is a huge mess, and makes very little sense. But the dino thrills are pretty fun, as is having a human villain who is so cartoonishly evil.
3. “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” — This one often gets a bad rap, but it really only deserve it in comparison to Spielberg’s original. On its own, “The Lost World” is still a blast.
2. “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” — Director JA Bayona takes a pretty pedestrian script and turns it into a thrilling experience that is a hell of a lot of fun. It also is incredibly topical, giving the series’ its most stupid and brazenly evil rich villain yet (that’s a compliment). It also redeems one big item from “Jurassic World” — Blue is a legit character this time around.
1. “Jurassic Park” — An easy choice, as Spielberg’s original film stands head and shoulders above the rest of the series. “Jurassic Park” is one of the greatest popcorn flicks of all time.