The end of the year is a great time to catch up on movies that went unnoticed over the last 12 months. More times than not, that means cinephiles are frantically catching up on the best films of 2019 and the year’s biggest awards contenders heading into the last stretches of the Oscar race January 2020. Chances are good that by now many readers have caught up on “The Irishman,” “Marriage Story,” “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” and “Parasite,” among other big Oscar contenders, so what’s left to watch over the last week of 2019? How about one of the year’s most criminally overlooked indie movies or foreign films.
From Sundance gems that disappeared upon release to bold international visions that were far too challenging to become “Parasite”-level hits domestically, below are 20 great movies from 2019 that deserve a lot more eyeballs. Films are listed below in alphabetical order.
More from IndieWire
- 'Hala' Trailer: A Muslim Teen Finds Sexual Agency in Minhal Baig's Sundance Hit
- 'Luce' Opens Strong, 'The Farewell' Is Here to Stay as Sundance Makes Box-Office Comeback
- 'Luce': How Will Smith and Barack Obama Inspired Questions About Black Masculinity in Provocative Film
Best of IndieWire
- The Best Films of 2019, According to IndieWire's Staff
- 12 of the Best Female-Directed Horror Films of the 2010s, From 'Knives and Skin' to 'The Babadook'
- Why These Are the 8 Best-Cast Films of 2019