Halloween may be the ideal excuse to celebrate the potential of the horror movies, but they’re always there. The most profitable genre is also one of the most exciting vessels for filmmaking talent, a means of entertaining and terrifying audiences while tricking them into thinking deeply about the world around them. While the Stephen King brand is ubiquitous and even “The Shining” got a sequel this year, horror movies have never been more varied and original, tackling a range of subjects and reinventing old tropes in exciting ways. Because we love flying in the face of superstition, here are the 13 best horror movies of 2019, any one of which is destined to inject some spooky fun into a Halloween-celebrating cinephile’s night. Just don’t watch them alone.
More from IndieWire
- How the Midnight Movie Became a Secret Antidote to the Industry's Diversity Problem
- IndieWire FYC Brunch to Celebrate 'Marriage Story,' 'Avengers: Endgame,' 'The Banker,' Nat Geo Docs, and More
- 'Jungle Cruise' Trailer: Disney Turns Its Popular Theme Park Ride Into a Big Screen Family Adventure
Best of IndieWire
- Wes Anderson's Favorite Movies: 30 Films the Auteur Wants You to See
- 15 Famously Homoerotic Horror Movies, From 'The Craft' to 'Hellraiser'
- The 10 Best Slasher Movies Ever Made, From 'Candyman' to 'Psycho'