Like monsters, vampires, and zombies, ghosts can be scary as hell. But there is something about the stories of lingering dead spirits that can be both awe-inspiring and spooky at once. The often invisible presence of ghosts allows filmmakers to explore the unsettling aspects of character psychology through the use sound and space. Some of the best ghost stories aren’t scary at all; instead, they liberate directors from the restrictions of space and time to mine spiritual and existential depths. It’s a genre that has attracted some of the medium’s greatest artists to create some of their finest work.
Products featured are independently selected by our editorial team and we may earn a commission from purchases made from our links.
More from IndieWire
- Another 'Hellraiser'? Yawn. Hollywood, Original Horror Movies Are Nothing to Fear
- Nicole Kidman Horror Classic 'The Others' Set for Modern Remake in Time for 20th Anniversary
- The Best Movie Moments of 2017 -- IndieWire Critics Survey
Best of IndieWire
- New Movies: Release Calendar for October 16, Plus Where to Watch the Latest Films
- The Best Zombie Movies Ever Made
- The 20 Highest Grossing Indies of 2020 (A Running List)