Fight that led to deadly double shooting may have started on a school bus, witnesses say
A fight that led to a deadly double shooting in southwest Atlanta may have stemmed from a fight that broke out on a school bus.
Police are still searching for the 15-year-old boy they say is the shooter.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
The shooting happened on Saville Street just before 5 p.m. When officers arrived, they found a 25-year-old man dead and a 40-year-old woman who had been shot. She was taken to a nearby hospital, where she is stable.
Police have not identified either victim.
Investigators spent hours on Monday night police searched the neighborhood to find the shooter.
Channel 2′s Tom Regan was in the neighborhood Tuesday, where the scene has cleared. A neighbor said that some teenagers who got into the fight may have just gotten off the school bus.
Taxpayers say company used through IRS website is not processing their payments
District investigating after partially nude man caught on video in Clayton County classroom
‘You’re passing cars like a picket fence’: Officials seeing more super speeders in metro Atlanta
“I was actually trying to take a nap and the gunshots woke me up,” the neighbor said. She didn’t want to be identified but said she witnessed some of the commotion, arguments, and fighting between two groups of teens outside her home.
“It was a scuffle, just real quick, and then they went their separate ways,” she said. “And the next thing I know, there were like nine gunshots back-to-back.”
The neighbor said she’s lived in the community for several years and never experienced such an explosion of violence, which she called senseless and put many people’s lives in danger.
“Anybody could have gotten those stray bullets or anything,” she said. “It’s just crazy.”
Channel 2′s Larry Spruill was there as SWAT teams and officers in full tactical gear showed up Monday night.
Police say a group of juveniles was arguing when shots rang out.
Investigators confirmed to Channel 2′s Darryn Moore that police spent hours Monday night and Tuesday morning in a standoff outside the house where they believed the suspect was. Around 1 a.m., they learned the place was empty.
They have identified the suspected shooter only as a 15-year-old and say they are still searching for the teen.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
The neighborhood, which is near the Camp Creek Medical Center, is made up of single-family homes.