12 / 16

Medical Tests Every Woman Should Have

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Who needs testing? Women who are trying to get pregnant, who have a new partner, who engage in unprotected sex, or who experience unusual vaginal discharge, irregular bleeding, or pain during intercourse. What tests to expect: Your doctor will do a DNA probe (a cervical swab similar to a Pap test) to check for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Blood tests screen for syphilis, hepatitis, and HIV. How often? Annually; every three to six months if you have a new sexual partner.