Lace is the epitome of ladylike chic and it's a perfect look for the holiday season. "When we think of lace the first color to pop into our mind is black," says style expert Jennie Baek, "but this season many designers featured beautiful jewel toned lace, as well as subdued blush pink and other neutrals." Here Jennie breaks down fresh ways to pair your colored lace for the holiday season.
1. "With the new trend of colored lace it's important to keep in mind not to go overboard with accessories that may fight for attention of an ensemble. For example, Taylor Swift wore a red lace dress and paired it with a nude peep toe heels. Keeping the shoes simple allows the dress to take center stage. Patent leather nude heels are also perfect for dressing up your colored lace for the holidays. Plus the nude heel is one of the best tricks to elongating your legs.
2. Dark navy or royal blue lace is also another great color option for the holidays. Lea Michele looked stunning in a long sleeve blue lace dress with black heels. Once again, the simple shoes help keep the attention on the dress. The black heels will help anchor the look and add a bit of an edge. For a little bit of sparkle accessorize with a sequin clutch either in black or navy.
3. I also love the idea of pairing a pretty nude lace pencil skirt with a navy or any other colored classic cashmere sweater. A feminine oxford would be a great pairing with this ensemble. This look can be worn during the day or even at the office. It's a beautiful, feminine and a fun way to subdue the lace for the day.
4. Let's get a little crazy and pair leopard with lace. I recently saw a picture of Alexa Chung with a navy lace skirt and an amazing leopard coat. She looked effortless and absolutely cool as always. If you're not bold enough to wear a leopard print coat this look also can be accomplished by a little leopard accessory. For example, a leopard print heel or even a leopard print clutch (not both at the same time) with a mustard yellow or brown lace dress would be gorgeous together.
5. Lace and leather is a way to add a little edge to the demure classic. Pair a pretty lace blouse with a well-fitting pencil or a pleated leather skirt. Investing a little bit more than usual on leather is worth the longevity wear you'll get out of the piece. Round out the look with a cute pair of ankle booties. Voila lace and leather a look that's naughty and nice!"
-- Ryan Patterson
Copyright 2012 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.