She's appeared on television and in countless movies -- both comedy and drama -- including a brilliantly haunting portrayal of a serial killer in 2003's Monster that earned her an Oscar. Here are five things you may not know about new mother Charlize Theron.
1. Born August 7, 1975 near Johannesburg, South Africa, she grew up an only child on the family's farm.
2. Was discovered by talent manager John Crosby in 1994, after she was spotted throwing a "little tantrum" inside a bank over the teller's refusal to cash a check.
3. Nude photos -- taken of Charlize years before she became famous -- were featured in the May 1999 issue of Playboy after she was unsuccessful in preventing them from being published.
4. When she was 15 her father attacked her mother, and her mother retaliated by shooting him in self-defense. The father died in the incident and the shooting was ruled justified as self-defense so her mother was not charged.
5. Told People magazine that she developed a crash on Tom Hanks after renting the mermaid comedy Splash when she was just nine years old, saying she "fell in love instantly." Eleven years later, she appeared in the Tom Hanks-directed movie That Thing You Do!