We’re taking a peek inside our favorite health and fitness experts’ gym bags to uncover their must-have gear and favorite products.
Name: Harley Pasternak, MSc, celebrity trainer and nutritionist, author of 5 Pounds: The Breakthrough 5-Day Plan to Jump-Start Rapid Weight Loss (and Never Gain It Back!) and The Body Reset Diet.
My workout: My primary secret is that I move all day long and get at least 10,000 steps outside of the gym. As far as what I do in the gym, I like to warm up for a few minutes on a Helix Lateral Trainer, which is my favorite piece of cardio equipment right now. Then I do a resistance training circuit and a cool-down. For structured exercise, my favorite workout is the program from my book 5 Pounds. It covers the whole body and you can do it anywhere.
I also like to play basketball to get in cardio, and golf to relax and log a ton of steps. When I’m home in LA, I work out at my private gym, and when I’m on the road, I work out in hotel gyms or in my hotel room. You can get a good workout anywhere if you’re creative.
What’s in my gym bag:
- New Balance Shift Short Sleeve Top: This shirt is a staple for me, because it is light and breathes well, and doesn’t constrict movement.
- Core Power Light: It’s rare to find a protein shake that tastes good and has a solid nutritional profile. This one has 20 grams of protein and less sugar (11 grams) than the ones you normally find on shelves.
- New Balance Vazee Rush Sneakers: I love these shoes because they are super comfortable and surprisingly lightweight. They also transition really well between gym shoes and street shoes, which is important for me as I’m always going back and forth between the gym and meetings.
- Almonds: Almonds are a perfect gym bag snack. They are nutrition-rich and give you a steady stream of energy (as opposed to a sugar-packed nutrition bar). Plus they don’t need refrigeration, so you can just throw them in your bag. I also keep some in my car so I’m never stuck starving with no smart snacking options available.
- Fitbit Surge GPS Watch: I love this thing. It tracks my steps, heart rate, even my sleep, and it has a built-in GPS function.
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 Headphones: In-ear headphones aren’t known for their sound quality, but these ones sound amazing, and they stay in my ears no matter what I’m doing.
- TRX Suspension Trainer: This is a gym bag must for me because it’s so versatile. All you need is something sturdy to anchor it, and you can do a huge variety of exercises.
Celebrity trainer and nutritionist Harley Pasternak. (Photo courtesy of Harley Pasternak)
This story is part of What’s In My Gym Bag, a Yahoo Health series taking a look at the cool gear and products in our favorite health and fitness experts’ workout bags. Show us what’s in YOUR gym bag by snapping a photo, posting it on Instagram, and tagging #YHGymBag.
Read This Next: What’s In My Gym Bag: Celebrity Chef Robert Irvine