Times are tough for pants. There’s the clear “jeans,” one-legged jeans, and the terrifying new Vetements jeans. A shining light are refreshingly honest pants from Topshop and ASOS labelled simply as “awkward length.” How refreshing.
The self-proclaimed awkward pant is now ubiquitous, wide-legged and mid-calf length. They’ve grown up since they were known as “gauchos” in the mid-2000s.
As fashion continues to push confusing options that seem like they may not really be clothes, a sign of self-awareness is nice. Maybe not as nice as flattering pants, but nice!
As anyone who has battled in a dressing room with culottes knows, they are awkward. It’s part of the reason people buy them (and definitely the reason many people don’t). Take a look below. Warning: awkward pants to follow. But awkward in a cute way.
- Serena Williams’s Pregnancy Announcement Was Completely Unintentional
- The Most Depressing Ways The Bachelor Couple Have Described Their Relationship
- Ask Polly: Is Life All Downhill From Here?
- Zeke Thomas Speaks Out for the First Time About Being Assaulted
- All the Cool Girls Had One: 16 Women on Teen Status Symbols