Makes 12 macaroons
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 dates, pitted and soaked in hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (like these)
1. Line a plate with parchment paper and set it aside.
2. Combine the cashews, oats, coconut flakes, and salt in a food processor or Vitamix. Pulse until a fine meal forms.
3. Add the soaked dates (make sure they are pitted!), 3 tablespoons of the water the dates have been soaked in, and the vanilla extract. Pulse again until the mixture becomes a dough like consistency.
4. Remove the dough and place it in a small bowl. Gently fold in the chocolate chips until they are incorporated into the dough mixture.
5. Use two spoons to portion out the dough into twelve balls. With clean hands, roll into balls.
5. Then, on a piece of parchment paper, roll into more coconut flakes as a topping. Once rolled in coconut, roll them again with your hands so that coconut sticks to the dough.
7. Enjoy immediately, or store in the freezer for later!
Lily Kunin is the voice behind the NYC-based food blog Clean Food Dirty City. Inspired by the chefs in her family as well as her friends who are looking for easy recipes, her mission is to create food that is simple, clean, and flavorful. Follow her blog on Instagram @cleanfooddirtycity.