Michelle Kwan’s husband, Clay Pell, filed for divorce, according to multiple outlets. Pell cited “irreconcilable differences” and doesn’t cite spousal support but does indicate he wants his lawyers paid for, according to TMZ. The couple has no children together.
Kwan, an Olympic gold medalist and 5-time world champion figure skater, met Pell after retiring from the sport in 2006. Following her athletic career, she became involved in politics as an activist and served as a surrogate for Hillary Clinton during her 2016 presidential run, according to Us Weekly. Pell is a former White House staffer who served as part of the Obama administration. He also once ran for governor of Rhode Island and its in Providence that Kwan and him wed in 2013 after first meeting two years prior.
“It is with deep regret that I share that Michelle and my marriage is coming to an end,” Pell said in a statement obtained by the Providence Journal. “This is a sad and difficult turn of events for our family. I love Michelle, and wish her the very best as her life takes her in a new direction.”
- Aubrey Plaza Is Currently Serving Up the Most Terrifying Performance on TV
- The Only Woman Mike Pence Is Allowed to Eat Alone With Is His Wife
- Bobbi Brown on Why She Really Left Her Brand and Resisted Making a Contour Palette, and Her Next Moves
- The Makeup Police Have Come to Arrest Alicia Keys
- Ali Wong Loves Kondo-ing So Much, She Named Her Daughter After It